Friday, August 29, 2008

My Wedding Vows

Just came across them. Still mean every word!

Carrie’s Vows to Jim

Jim, there are no words to describe the depth of my love for you. It amazes me daily and gives me strength in ways that I could never have imagined. But as I stand here today, promising myself to you forever, I’ll attempt to give words to the scope of my love.

Jim, I love you from the tips of your dark, spiky hair, to the ends of your calloused runner’s toes. I love everything that makes you you…the way you can make me smile when I’m angry, the way you laugh too loud in the move theater, your irresistible smile, and all of the idiosyncratic behaviors that make you quirky and weird! I love that you love my family, and that you delight in napping on my parents couch, or torturing Hanna. I love that you don’t let me take myself too seriously, and that you hardly ever know the right thing to say, but you usually know the right thing to do. Jim, I love, admire and respect who you are, and what you bring to our relationship. But most of all, I love “us”. We have fun, and we make a great team. You and I have always been teammates; first at UCI, then at Edison, and now in life. Jim, I promise to always be your teammate.

Do you remember UCI cross country camp in Mammoth the year we first met? We played a team game of truth or dare, and when asked who I thought was the cutest boy on the team, I said you! Then, a few years later, we were best friends. We shared everything; we knew each other’s secret crushes and secret fears. We confided in each other, and trusted in each other. Things did get complicated, when we tried to date, but through it all, we remained good friends. We both knew that our friendship was special, and worth working for and holding on to. Jim, I promise to always be your friend.

It was our friendship that finally brought us together for good. Do you remember that we both got dumped on the same day? You called me, hoping that I would make you feel better, only to discover that I needed your support as much as you needed mine, but we were there for each other. We helped each other to heal. We supported each other. Jim, I promise to always support you.

Soon we found ourselves in a relationship like none we’d ever been in before. We had nothing to hide because we already knew each other’s secrets. Falling in love with you was the easiest thing I’ve ever done, because I guess I’ve always loved you. Sharing my life with you for the past few years has been amazing. You’ve taught me so much. I’ve learned to listen, and I’ve learned that I’m not always right…usually, but not always. J But mostly you’ve taught me the true meaning of commitment. You stood behind me even when you didn’t agree with me. You’ve been honest with me, telling me what I needed to hear, even when it wasn’t what I wanted to hear. And you changed your whole life, your job, where you live, your future plans, so that I could be a part of it. Thank you Jim. Thank you for loving me so much. Thank you for being my committed partner. Jim, I promise to always be your partner.

You are my heart Jimmy, and as I look at the road ahead of us, I know that there will be bumps, but when I look back at the road behind, I see that we’ve already scaled mountains. We can overcome anything if we have each other, and I know that I want to have you forever. I love you so much Jim, and I look forward to growing old with you.

I promise so many things to you today Jim. I promise my undying and unconditional love to you from this moment until forever. I promise to be honest with you and to respect you, to stand by you and to give you strength when times are tough, and to be faithful to you always. Most importantly, I promise to inspire you Jim, to always believe in you, and to give you the support you need to believe in yourself. I will love you, honor you, and cherish you for all the days of my life.

No comments: